Bridge to Terabithia
I was talking to friends about this just the other day. This new movie that is out (coming out?) based on one of my favorite books as an older child. I have not seen it yet. But I did see the preview and was slightly irritated that it looked like they made the "imaginary world" into a PLACE in the movie. That we get to see the place....and are not left (as the book allows us) to imagine it ourselves. I don't like this idea. And I was telling my friends this. But I just talked on the phone to my mom who told me that Katherine Paterson's son is the movie producer (or one of those titles) and that the story is a true one based on his life. And that changed everything! The "imaginary world" that we get to see in the movie is the way it was actually imagined. Which leads me to ponder:
How would I create on film the imaginary world's of my own childhood?
Because there were many...and they were full of detail and oh, so real to me. And I would love the chance to re-create what my mind and heart grew up in. To be able to show it to people. To my children. To my parents. Because now that I'm a parent I wonder every day what is going on in the minds and imaginations of my children. I certainly hear about it---they are little chatterboxes---but I can't get in there...into their minds...into their imaginary worlds. I can't see the world and the make-believe worlds that they live in. And I want to.
So now, instead of grumbling about "some movie producer ruining one of my favorite books because he thinks we all need to see Terabithia as HE imagined it" I'm anxiously looking forward to seeing Terabithia as it was REALLY IMAGINED.
How would I create on film the imaginary world's of my own childhood?
Because there were many...and they were full of detail and oh, so real to me. And I would love the chance to re-create what my mind and heart grew up in. To be able to show it to people. To my children. To my parents. Because now that I'm a parent I wonder every day what is going on in the minds and imaginations of my children. I certainly hear about it---they are little chatterboxes---but I can't get in there...into their minds...into their imaginary worlds. I can't see the world and the make-believe worlds that they live in. And I want to.
So now, instead of grumbling about "some movie producer ruining one of my favorite books because he thinks we all need to see Terabithia as HE imagined it" I'm anxiously looking forward to seeing Terabithia as it was REALLY IMAGINED.

1 Comments:
How interesting that two sisters, so different in some ways, as so similar in others...I was also slightly disturbed by the movie previews. In fact I was ranting about it to Matt. In my memory of the book, the imaginary world is just a slight part of the greater story. To me it seems like the movie has turned it into a story about the imaginary world rather than the relationship between the children and how they create this world...I don't know maybe I should reread it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home