19 February 2007

Week 2/19-23/07 Plans

I think I'll try to post weekly what my schooling plans are and then I'll update as to what we actually accomplished (because the first thing I learned in this first year of homeschooling has been that the well-thought-out plan I put on paper is just not always the one that ends up happening):

  • Nature walks--begin using our journals again

  • Language Arts: Read Sleeping Beauty and dramatize

  • Math: Odds, Evens, and Pairs, Greater Than and Less Than Review

  • Phonics: Intoduce digraphs sh and th, Wendy read beginning readers from Nana and K12, Froggy gets Dressed

  • Preschool: Letter A activities for John:  Color capital A, fill it in with legos,

  • Kaya's Short Stories Read Aloud:  Kaya and the Beavers, Kaya and the Flood


Add to this the usual music class, dance, Signing Time, swim lessons and PLAY.

I'll also list (when I remember to) the books we read aloud:

  • Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom

  • One Morning in Maine

  • Quack, Daisy, Quack

  • Bob (the Rooster)

  • Curious George

  • Tiger Trouble

  • Quick as a Cricket

  • many many dinosaur books that all have "big" or "all about" in the title.


And then I'll keep notes on things that happened spontaneously that are educational or just of interest:

  • Wendy made a homemade puppet show with finger puppets...using a folding chair and lots of paper (even though we have a doorway puppet theatre set up...it's more fun to make your own) (2/19)

  • John made a lego village while listening to Sleeping Beauty and practiced using scissors to "help" Wendy with the puppet theatre. (2/19)

  • visit to our local dinosaur museum--trilobites and t-rexs, sand-play and classification, dig like a paleontologist and show me their favorite dioramas. (2/19)

  • Wendy worked on embroidery today while John practiced scissors again. (2/20)

  • Lots of outside play for both (2/20)

  • trip to the library where Wendy picked out a book on embroidery, Waldo, and others and John searched the dinosaur section for any and all books about t-rexs.... and playgroup (2/21)

  • practiced signs at dinner.  Wendy can sign the whole alphabet and John does many:  play, food, thirsty, more, dirty, wait. (2/21)

  • (2/22) Music Class (Let's Play Music), Co-op (the last day of the dance unit),  creative dance...a crazy day.

  • (2/23) Wendy picked up Froggy Gets Dressed this morning and began to read aloud to me...and got maybe 80% of it!  Yippee, Wendy!, John ran wild today playing dinosaurs and swords, they worked together this afternoon making a "condo" out of our just-emptied saltine box...no formal school happened today (blah).

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Nina said...

I love reading the daily details of how others homeschool. I look forward to reading more details and I love to read book lists. Quick as a Cricket is such a fun book to read. It always makes me want to do a good bulletin board; something that has eluded me so far. Bulletin boards are difficult to do without the right material. You must be somewhere warm. I shudder at the idea of Nature Walks right now in our 20 degree weather. Great post.

23 February, 2007 12:46  
Anonymous overandaroundus said...

Nina, thank you for reading my blog! I love getting comments! It is cold today here, too and this is something I've been struggling with the last month or so: how to do great nature walks/study/play when it is too cold to spend much time outside (my youngest is 3 months). I look forward to years to come when my kids are all a bit older and we can just bundle up and take a thermos of cocoa and spend time searching for interesting specimens poking up through the snow...or looking for animal tracks...or admiring the way branches look covered with ice. I suppose I could do that now...in shorter bursts...but I often have a hard time getting motivated to bundle us all up when I'm in the stage where I have to do all the bundling. I guess that's why there is a time for everything...so we'll appreciate it all the more.

23 February, 2007 21:55  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home