Baby Carrying Meets Capitalism
...and what do you have? A young mom with $5000 worth of investment in different baby carriers in an attempt to find just-the-right-one. OK, so it's not $5000. But probably around $500. At least. First there was the ring sling (padded...this was 2001). Then there was a cheaper version of the Kelty. Then there was the Kelty. Which was great except I couldn't shop the narrow aisles of the NYC (where my first child was born) neighborhood grocer without causing a noisy embarassing I've-just-knocked-over-the-tower-of-seltzer-water-I'm-so-very-sorry scene. Then there was the Baby Bjorn. Then I stopped. I willed myself to let-it-go, this quest for the perfect way to lugg very-heavy-baby close to me at all times. I just learned to use what I had. My back usually hurt.
Then the Kelty met with disaster (aka: we backed over it by accident...oops). So we bought another Kelty. Then there was the Snugli carrier that could be used like the Bjorn but also-on-the-back (this was a major selling point). Then there was a fleece adjustable pouch (getting closer....not quite perfect). Then there was the wrap(5 plus yards of fabric to deal with....yeah, right....not too convenient, though it is comfy). THEN!!!!!!
(here is where it gets good, folks, mind you this is FIVE AND A HALF YEARS AND THREE CHILDREN LATER).....THEN!!!! then there was the Ergo. And now finally I can really stop buying more carriers because this one is the ultimate in comfort and ease. And so I have stopped buying. (except for that SECOND Ergo I just found used online and, ahem, bought....because two really is better than one). And now I'll stop....I promise (?).

p.s. this post is dedicated to my partner-in-crime, Maia...sister extraordinaire.
Then the Kelty met with disaster (aka: we backed over it by accident...oops). So we bought another Kelty. Then there was the Snugli carrier that could be used like the Bjorn but also-on-the-back (this was a major selling point). Then there was a fleece adjustable pouch (getting closer....not quite perfect). Then there was the wrap(5 plus yards of fabric to deal with....yeah, right....not too convenient, though it is comfy). THEN!!!!!!
(here is where it gets good, folks, mind you this is FIVE AND A HALF YEARS AND THREE CHILDREN LATER).....THEN!!!! then there was the Ergo. And now finally I can really stop buying more carriers because this one is the ultimate in comfort and ease. And so I have stopped buying. (except for that SECOND Ergo I just found used online and, ahem, bought....because two really is better than one). And now I'll stop....I promise (?).

p.s. this post is dedicated to my partner-in-crime, Maia...sister extraordinaire.
Labels: Blogroll

3 Comments:
Oh no, I shouldn't have even looked at the Ergo. Now I am thinking about how nice it would be to use it on the backside. My Hip Hammock which I loved doesn't function that way. Is the Ergo working for you baby boy? Hmmm....
Hah! I am so glad I had a big sister to learn from...I have vowed today, when I shop, to use my wrap (I feel the need to tackle and achieve). To Nina...the Ergo is soooooo worth it!
So glad I am past the "perfect carrier" dilemma now. With my third baby I discovered the wrap which was the most comfortable for me (although the 5 yards of fabric is a bit of a nuisance). I am glad I didn't know about the Ergo. That would have meant yet another baby carrier purchase in my life! I just found your blog over at Nina's Painted Rainbows!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home