Another bird or two for Nina
Funny, I have never been all that interested in birdwatching or bird classification or bird anything, for that matter, until I began recently to read on many homeschool blogs about bird studies. And then all of a sudden I'm surrounded by book ideas. And great ones, too! Here is another one for Nina and any other mom-schooler (or other!) who is trying to up their bird-book library:
(forgive me for not being able to figure out how to paste an amazon book link into wordpress....anyone know? Can you help me?)
So for now, I'll just give the title and a link (but, oh!, I'd love to have a photo): Birdsongs by Betsy Franco and Steve Jenkins. It's a Caldecott Honor Medalist and is just the perfect introduction for kids (and parents!) to get their ears open to what's happening above them. An excerpt:
"...In the front yard, a red-capped woodpecker is working on a hole-pocked pine-tree. He raps a tap dance with his beak, pecking 10 times as he looks for breakfast bugs..."
And some other beautifully poetic lines:
"...A flutter. A flurry. A flapping of chipping sparrows..."
(don't you love that?). And:
"...A white-cheeked chickadee chimes in..."
(forgive me for not being able to figure out how to paste an amazon book link into wordpress....anyone know? Can you help me?)
So for now, I'll just give the title and a link (but, oh!, I'd love to have a photo): Birdsongs by Betsy Franco and Steve Jenkins. It's a Caldecott Honor Medalist and is just the perfect introduction for kids (and parents!) to get their ears open to what's happening above them. An excerpt:
"...In the front yard, a red-capped woodpecker is working on a hole-pocked pine-tree. He raps a tap dance with his beak, pecking 10 times as he looks for breakfast bugs..."
And some other beautifully poetic lines:
"...A flutter. A flurry. A flapping of chipping sparrows..."
(don't you love that?). And:
"...A white-cheeked chickadee chimes in..."
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
How funny--we had that wonderful book out just last week. We read it over and over and the kids loved it.
Oh I loved it too. I typically do not like cut paper collage illustrations but for some reason I think Steve Jenkins is just grand. I highly recommend his I See a Kookaburra by Robin Page and Jenkins. Thanks for thinking of me. :)
BTW-I love "mom" schoolers. Cute cute way to describe ourselves.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home