29 March 2008

American Girl Class

Wendy was in Liberty Girls this Fall and really enjoyed it.  Around Christmas, the leader announced that she wouldn't be doing it anymore.  I considered taking over but was also in the middle of tweaking our schedule and had begun to feel like our afternoons were getting too booked.  So I decided to teach a similar class--basically just using the idea of a book club based on the American Girl books-- at our Friday Fun co-op classes...which we'd be going to anyway.  There---keep the same activities but condensed to only one day instead of two.  Great! 

It's been going really well.  I think the girls are having fun and I know that I am!  We're focusing on Kaya for this 6-week session and hopefully will continue when sessions start up again in the Fall, working our way through each character/historical period. 

Here's a shot of our travois-making activity:

3-21-08-2.jpg

My loose plan for the six weeks:

We start each class (one hour) by letting the girls take turns telling their favorite part of the books---a la Charlotte Mason narration.  Then we talk a bit about that days theme and look at some resources.  Kaya's World has been a huge help!  Then we're off on the activity/craft.

week 1:  Introduction (Meet Kaya)


  • Look at Kaya doll and traditional dress



  • Kaya's World p. 2-5



  • Look at map



  • Coyote Legend



  • Make a Parfleche



  • Make Abalone Hair Pieces (using cardboard and metallic paints)



week 2:  Words and Work (Kaya's Escape)


  • Kaya's World



  • Learn Nimipuu words



  • Bead Bracelets



week 3:  A Nomadic People (Kaya's Hero)


  • Kaya's World p. 8-9



  • Make a mini model teepee



week 4:  Horse Culture (Kaya and Lone Dog)


  • Kaya's World p. 6-7



  • Bring Steps High



  • Learn parts of a horse



  • Make a model travois for plastic horses/stuffed animals



week 5:  Games and Toys (Kaya Shows the Way)

week 6:  Food (Changes for Kaya)


  • Bring a grinding stone and grain/beans--hard work!



  • Sample traditional foods:  salmon, pemmican, fruit leather, fry bread



  • Wrap up



Lots of information here.  This would make a fun home study, too!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous henryteachers said...

You have done such a great job with this class Sarah. J. and I have enjoyed it very much.

29 March, 2008 09:21  
Anonymous Seastar said...

We don't have Liberty girls where we live. I love the lesson plans you have provided. I think we may do a Kaya unit study this summer.

Thanks for the ideas.

30 March, 2008 01:51  
Anonymous henryteachers said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I added you! See you on Friday!

01 April, 2008 10:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home