06 April 2007

The Courage of Sarah Noble

I spent part of the afternoon with about 10 kids--ages 2-7--doing activities based on our reading of this book.  It was fun and I think I'll post the plan I used.

  • We started by discussing courage--what does this word mean?  And how Sarah had to demonstrate bravery on her journey.  She used her red cloak to help her.  Each child had brought their own "comfort" to show and tell.  Most were stuffed animals and blankets.

  • Then we dramatized the part in the book where Sarah and her father were sleeping in the forest--hearing animals and Sarah kept wondering: "father?".  This part was a big hit.  First we went on a pretend journey around the yard--talking about having to walk all day.  Then made a pretend campfire and talked about how travelers made fires and cooked.  We ate johnnycakes (real ones, see here for a basic recipe).  Then found a camp spot and everyone "went to sleep".  We took turns making a night-animal sound.  The rest would all poke their heads up and say "father?" and whoever made the sound would answer "An owl, Sarah". 

  • Then to the table to make Sarah Noble clothespin dolls--spoon dolls would have been easier...this took quite a bit of grown-up intervention to complete...I wish the kids had been able to do it themselves (poor planning on my part).  But they turned out VERY CUTE. (photo later)

  • Then we had a snack (because a great percentage of them really didn't like the johnnycakes...as I guessed might happen.  But the point was made!).

  • Then a rousing game of "pebble in the moccasin" which is mentioned in passing in the book.  I searched online and apparently this is a popular game of chance played by many Native American tribes....originally an adult game that is mimicked by children.  So I got the gist of it---and way-over-simplified-it for the kiddos. 

  • Then free play.  A crazy and fun time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Becca said...

Both my girls went to sleep tonight with their little dolls. SUCH a fun activity!! Thank you so much for everything.

06 April, 2007 06:27  
Anonymous Nina said...

Wow-what a fantastic list of activities. I bet you have a lot of site "hits" for this planned activity. I am saving it for future use. Very well planned.

06 April, 2007 21:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home