12 May 2007

It's a start...

For mother's day my mom sent me these huge Lands' End carry-alls...for the purpose of, well, whatever, really...but mostly so that I could shop without using disposable bags.  It's a pretty easy way to walk a bit more lightly on the planet and consume less resources.   The (hypocrital)problem being that I do my major shopping every week at the giant-of-all-consumerism, you guessed it:  Walmart.  Down the road (a ways) perhaps I'll be able to bring myself to shop somewhere a bit more pc but for now the purse makes the decision on this one. 

So I show up this morning at el-giganto WM with my el-giganto bags.  I do my el-giganto shopping and go through the self-check.  Items scan and go into bags.  Oh, it is so easy.  Then self-check-helper-lady saunters over (I could hear them conversing in a "what is she dooiiinnnggg?" tone behind me.  She asks if I bought the bags here.  She asks if I've done this before.  She alludes to her fear that the door-check-person will have to search my bags so I should make sure to keep my receipt.  She wonders where I bought the bags if not at WM.  She asks why I'm using the bags.  She gives me looks that imply that she believes me to be right off the cover of one of the nearby alien-abduction-it's-the-truth! magazines.  Then she tells me she's not trying to give me any trouble. Hmmm. 

But all-in-all the trial run really did work.  I didn't tailor my shopping to try to fit in the bags but somehow it all fit just perfectly.  It was much easier to carry two (albeit huge and heavy at that point) bags with very sturdy handles (and so cute!) than 12 plastic bags that are threatening to rip at any moment and then litter my kitchen and house posing choking hazards to my children and tempting my husband to wrap the opened cheese in them even-though-he-now-knows-that-I-can't-stand-white-plastic-bags-in-the-fridge, and definitely eliminating the chance of those bags (even if I do bring them back to the store to recycle) ending up on some bush by the highway making an awful sight or choking some dolphin somewhere. 

 img_0018.jpg

Plus, sometimes it just feels good to do the right thing even though everyone else thinks you are a total wacko.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Becca said...

You make me laugh!! I love the bags. They're darling and sucha great idea. The idea of the stressed out Wal-mart lady is hysterical to me. But way to save those dolphins!

13 May, 2007 07:01  
Anonymous Nina said...

I read this right before I went to the one and only grocery store in my town, Kroger. We used to live in a city, I used to shop at all the high end shops. They gladly accepted my bags. Everytime I took them to Kroger or the like they acted all befuddled.

Anyway, I decided to take my bags to Kroger. You are a brave woman to use the self check out. It just confuses me especially because I purchase so much produce. I'm pretty sure I annoyed the young check out girl and the older bagger.

You are right about how easy it is to carry the bags from the car to the house. I have these super bags from Trader Joes. One bag held all four half gallons of soymilk. As the bagging goes at my store, that is four bags saved!

Do you have a Trader Joes where you live? We are an hour away from one now so I make a monthly trip. The prices on many things put Wal Mart to shame. Good food, low prices and interesting selection. You may not be able to do all your shopping there but it is worth a monthly trip.

14 May, 2007 17:53  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

You know, I have a bag just like that and I never thought of using it for groceries etc. Great idea!

20 May, 2007 01:39  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home