11 June 2008

In honor of my 134th post...

....here are 134 (!) random things about me that you may or may not be interested to know:

1.  At this very moment almost all the windows on our house are being replaced (jump for joy!).

2. We are considering a move which probably won't happen.  Either way will be a good thing.  Which makes the decision ultra-confusing for us.

3. My hair is dark brown.

4.  It started out blonde.  Many many years ago.

5. I am a direct descendant of William Bradford. 

6. I wish to be a writer in my next career.

7.  My secret wish would be to be my own illustrator.  Based on my attempts at drawing I don't thing this will happen....

8.  I'm almost 35 (15 days away).

9. It is shocking to me that I'm almost 35.  Not necessarily in a bad way.  Just shocking.  Where did all that time between 18 and now go?  It is baffling to me!

10. I grew up in a most beautiful place---Vermont.

11.  Much of me wishes to live there now.  Some of me doesn't.

12.  My dream place to live is Cape Cod. 

13.  I love the German language.  I think it is beautiful.

14.  I only speak English.  Need to do something about this!

15.  I am an oboist. I have two degrees from Juilliard.  I used to be obsessed with the oboe.  Now I don't miss it.  More important things are happening to me.

16. I wish I could play the violin.  Celtic fiddle, to be exact.

17.  I am very shy....but I can fake being very friendly.  I wonder what this says about me?

18.  I started going to sleep-away camp for 2 weeks at a time at age 8.  I LOVED IT. 

19.  Now that I have children I realize how brave my parents were.

20.  I have learned more about dinosaurs in the last 2 years than I was ever interested in knowing.

21.  I used to want to be famous.  Not so much anymore.

22.  I desire a simple life.

23.  I have been pulled over for speeding 3 times in my life.

24.  I have never been issued a ticket.

25.  My husband thinks this is hilarious.

26.  I have worked quite a bit as a waitress.

27.  Also, making pizza.

28.  Also, a dressing assistant for theatre.

29.  Also, making oboe reeds.

30.  Also, temp work.  Yuck.

31.  Also, gigging in Manhattan. 

32.  Also, teaching music and art to preschoolers.  Fun!  But not when you're pregnant!

33.  When I was little my family raised and slaughtered our own chickens.  At the time it was fairly traumatic.  I look back at the experience with fond memories. 

34.  We also raised and slaughtered a pig one year.

35.  And a cow another year.

36.  We had two ponies.  Don't worry, they were NOT for eating!

37.  We had geese.  They chased me and hissed at me every day when I got off the school bus.  No fond memories here.  But good stories!

38.  I really admire my parents.  They were great parents.  They still are. 

39.  I am an avid journaler.

40.  I have realized that Playmobil toys look like good purchases but they really just equate to lots of little pieces of plastic underfoot. 

41.  Yellow is a good color for me. 

42.  My calling at church is Relief Society Teacher.  I love this calling.

43.  I love tulips. Cut.  I still crave those bunches of tulips you can buy at the Korean markets in NYC for $6.  Back then I didn't often have $6 to blow on flowers.  But I always admired them. 

44.  I love California Poppies in the garden.  Orange and Red.  Especially Red. 

45.  I grew up with a beaver pond through our woods.  We skated there sometimes in the winter.

46.  I love the smell of newly-mowed lawn.

47.  I also love the smell of a sugarhouse in spring.  Maple syrup seems to hang in the air.  Heaven.

48.  Speaking of sugaring....another lovely childhood memory. 

49.  I played field hockey in high school. 

50.  I was red-carded from a game once because I was too aggressive.

51.  When I was in high school I was vp of student council.  My friend was president.  We abused our power once by spiking the pies for the pie-eating contest with exlax.  Not one of my proudest memories.  But it was funny.....

52.  I lived in Manhattan for 10 years in 7 different apartments. 

53.  I had a favorite stuffed animal growing up.  An elephant named Sunny.  I still have him.  I still believe he is real.

54.  Growing up we picked blackberries as big as my thumb.  They were sooooo good.

55.  I was born in Connecticut. In the same town that Charles Ives lived in.

56.  I have one sister.  I wish she lived close-by.

57.  We go to Vermont and Michigan (and this year Cape Cod!) ever summer for about 6 weeks. 

58.  I have not had a full nights sleep in almost 7 years.  Seriously.

59.   I used to run at least 2 miles a day.  I'm out of the habit. 

60.  I'm signed up to run a 1/2 marathon in August.  I need to start running again!

61.  I've been saying this for about 6 months now....

62.  I lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months.

63.  I never thought I'd join Weight Watchers...but it really works! 

64.  I still drank whole milk and used real butter. 

65. I was never that interested in chocolate as a child (other candy, yes....chocolate, no).  I never understood why people were obsessed with it.

66.  I understand now.

67.  My father can fix ANYTHING.

68.  I do not like to wear sneakers for anything other than running.  They make me feel short and frumpy.

69.  I went to Smith College for my first year of college. 

70.  I turned 16 in South Korea.  During an orchestra tour.

71.  I am afraid of deep water.

72.  I am afraid of deep water.

73.  I am afraid of deep water!

74.  I try to pretend that I'm not when I'm swimming with my kids.  But I am really afraid of deep water.

75.  The definition of deep water is anything more than waist-deep.

76.  I bite my fingernails.  It is a horrible habit.  I remember being very small and watching my mother bite hers.  I looked at my own and tried it out. 

77.  My mother doesn't bite hers anymore.  I still do.

78.  I love hedgehogs.  I've never seen a real one, but in illustrations they are so adorable.

79.  I do not enjoy living with pets in the house.

80.  We have three cats. They live in the house.

81.  I love making lists.

82.  My memory is not so good.  I have to write things down or I will forget them. 

83.  My biggest fear (other than something horrible happening to someone I love) is that I will have Alzheimers.

84.  I love chocolate ice cream.  But it has to be Breyers.

85.  I can snowboard.

86.  I love to read. 

87.  I love to eat while I read.  Hmmmm.....

88.  I worked in the library during college. 

89.  My favorite color is blue.

90. I love homeschooling my kids. 

91.  I love going to the movies.  With candy.

92. I love road trips.

93. The most recent book I've read is Jeannette Wall's The Glass Castle.  It was fabulous!

94. I've been told I look like Megan Follows in the Anne of Green Gables movie.  I don't see it at all!  But it is a good compliment:  I LOVE these movies. 

95. My parents built their own houses.  I grew up in houses that weren't finished. 

96. I love picking strawberries. 

97.  I love being a mom.  It is great!

98.  I am horrible at returning phone calls.

99.  I am much better at email.  I really love email.

100.  I like to wake up very early. 

101.  I don't get to do it very often with a nursing baby. 

102.  Amazon.com, I love you!

103.  I find it easier to express myself in writing than in speaking.

104.  I have a difficult time being energetic without lots of sunlight.

105.  I really enjoy peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

106.  Peanut butter and cucumber is really good, too!

107.  I grew up camping.  I love to camp, still. 

108.  Camping is much more complicated from a mother's perspective than from a child's!

109.  I do not wear perfume.

110.  I wish I knew more about computers.

111.  I like to live in quiet. 

112.  My husband likes music or radio on all the time.

113.  We are pretty good at compromising.

114.  I am really proud of my children!

115.  I lived in Miami Beach for 4 months.

116. I love chocolate cake and cream puffs.  I just do!

117.  I also love home-grown, fresh-picked salad with my mom's homemade dressing.

118.  And goat cheese.  Mostly, I just love food!

119.  And hiking.

120.  I think orchestra's should sell tickets for audience-members to sit interspersed throughout the orchestra.  It is a much more exciting listening experience. 

121.  I was a vegetarian for 3 years until I got tempted by a hot dog, of all things!

122.  I love to hang-dry my laundry. 

123.  I iron as little as possible.

124.  I love to take walks with my children.  We walk almost daily.

125.   IF we ever get a dog, I want a long-haired dachsund.

126.  I love my minivan! 

127.  I love to go "treasure hunting".  Aka:  garage saling.

128.  I love the smell of peppermint and lemon.  But not together...

129.  I am cheap.  Ok, that doesn't come across right.  Let me rephrase:  I am frugal.

130.  My parents let me paint and write on my bedroom wall when I was in high school. 

131.  I'll continue the tradition.

132.  Speaking of traditions, I love them, good ones, that is.  They make life happy.

133.  I am constantly toying with the idea of unschooling. 

134.  This was much easier than I thought it would be!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous mirjam said...

you are officially the best list maker I know and I feel so lucky to be able to hang out with you on tuesday....

11 June, 2008 13:08  
Anonymous Buttercup said...

I am impressed! It seriously took me over a month to come up with my list! Thanks for sharing all these fun things about yourself!

11 June, 2008 18:14  
Anonymous Erin said...

WOW- I have read a number of the 'things about me' lists and I have never seen so many entries that I relate to. It is a little scary actually. So funny that you chose some of the things that I always think of too (not liking chocolate before puberty, the blackberries, chickens, library, and the deep water....so many more apply too)

I am especially happy about #42. I worried so much when I requested you!

12 June, 2008 07:04  
Anonymous Becca said...

Funny to have known you for so long and still learn all kinds of fun things about you. What a great list!

12 June, 2008 08:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home