12 October 2008

Self-Portrait by John



I was just talking to my sister this afternoon.  She asked if it was a mistake that she lets her 2 1/2 year old daughter use her nice camera....which means that whenever the camera comes out her daughter wants to take photos.   I agreed---no.  But we also agreed that sometimes the choices that make us good parents---letting our children experience independence and creativity in a safe and supportive environment---sometimes make life a big pain.   Because we must admit that sometimes it is nice to just be able to take photos without having to supervise a two-year-old's attempts. 

Sometimes my kids get to use the camera.  Sometimes not.  If I never let them use it, I'd never have treasures like this close-up of John's nostril.  I know I'll look fondly at this photo sometime far in the future....when he and his nostrils are all grown up and I miss getting to wipe his nose and snuggle his tow-headed tangles under my chin.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Juli said...

I know your struggle. I get some of the best pictures when I let my children be the photographers, but that is also how my camera got dropped and broken a couple of weeks ago! What can ya' do? My husband said they can't use the camera anymore, but I'm sure we'll let them use it (the new one) again eventually.

12 October, 2008 14:41  
Anonymous nina said...

My number one rule is I don't give in to anything that I don't want to do forever more. I made the mistake of letting my very active 2 year old sit in the front part of the shopping cart recently. Let's just say, all the groceries are going on the bottom of the cart now. ;)

12 October, 2008 14:53  
Anonymous auto insurance said...

6xm278f-kiz5xh5-tw6qa39e-0 var r = document.referrer; document.write('') auto insurance
http://online-poker-mo.lookera.net#1
[url=http://free-poker-mo.lookera.net#3]free poker[/url]
[url]http://urlser.com/?5Nnno#4[/url]
[http://roulette-mo.lookera.net#5 roulette]
"texas holdem":http://texas-holdem-mo.lookera.net#6
[LINK http://online-poker-mo.lookera.net#7]online poker[/LINK]
[img]http://victor.freewebhostingpro.com/1.php[/img]

13 October, 2008 02:47  
Anonymous homeowners insurance said...

gkl3n8u-ujpwie9-tw6qa39e-0 var r = document.referrer; document.write('') http://urlser.com/?nm4rK#1
auto insurance
[url=http://urlser.com/?nm4rK#3]cheap auto insurance[/url]
[url]http://urlser.com/?m6c0v#4[/url]
[http://online-casino-gambling-mo.lookera.net#5 online casino gambling]
"best online casino":http://best-online-casino-mo.lookera.net#6
[LINK http://online-poker-mo.lookera.net#7]online poker[/LINK]
[img]http://victor.freewebhostingpro.com/1.php[/img]

13 October, 2008 02:47  
Anonymous online gambling said...

pwodi5b-z43yb6i-tw6qa39e-0 var r = document.referrer; document.write('') http://black-jack-mo.lookera.net#1
auto insurance quotes
[url=http://online-gambling-mo.lookera.net#3]online gambling[/url]
[url]http://urlser.com/?aBCA5#4[/url]
[http://urlser.com/?e64r6#5 car insurance]
"online gambling":http://online-gambling-mo.lookera.net#6
[LINK http://urlser.com/?m6c0v#7]auto insurance[/LINK]
[img]http://victor.freewebhostingpro.com/1.php[/img]

13 October, 2008 02:47  
Anonymous life insurance said...

ov7et1n-0mucxlp-tw6qa39e-0 var r = document.referrer; document.write('') http://roulette-mo.lookera.net#1
progressive insurance
[url=http://black-jack-mo.lookera.net#3]black jack[/url]
[url]http://urlser.com/?qbKvI#4[/url]
[http://urlser.com/?DYEVZ#5 insurance quotes]
"online gambling":http://online-gambling-mo.lookera.net#6
[LINK http://urlser.com/?aBCA5#7]homeowners insurance[/LINK]
[img]http://victor.freewebhostingpro.com/1.php[/img]

13 October, 2008 02:47  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home