Vicarious Life
In the "old days" when I was a student at Juilliard we would get quite a bit of entertainment each Saturday as "pre-college" was in session. Small children dressed to the nines most often followed by hovering-stage-parent-also-dressed-to-the-nines-with-look-of-extreme-worry-on-her-face (yes, this is the technical term...or if you're Emily you can just say "Mrs. Park"). It would be entertaining in its own way, but also was sad or pathetic or annoying---depending on the situation. These mothers---always mothers!---were obviously wanting the best for their children and there's no bashing that. But they were sooooo attentive and sooooo hovering that it was obvious to all around them that what was really happening was that they were vicariously living the Juilliard experience through their children (and believe me, this is not an experience I would wish on a 19-year-old, much less a child...so there is much wrong here at many levels).
That said, on to my next topic: my husband (who actually sometimes reads my blog!) is enthralled with this whole mommy-blog thing that I've become a part of. He asks me, over and over, what is it that makes all these moms do it. He's not being disparaging. He's a really nice guy. But he's definitely curious. And I've thought about it a bit and here's my answer: We are living vicariously. And it's not in a sad, often-negative way like those pre-college days....no, it is liberating! It is a chance to experience do-it-all-supermom-hood without being a supermom (which, we all know, is an impossible feat). How else could I experience so much in one day and still be sane and enjoy my life?
I can't spend time canning lately because my kitchen has to be spotless-at-all-times for the realtor. But I can experience it here.
I did get to go on a big trip this summer...but not to Europe! Not to worry, Mirjam did!
I live in a very red state....but, thank goodness for like-minded (real-life!) friends.
I wish I lived closer to my sister and my parents so we could have dinner together any-old-time. I can't. But I can "live it" here. Yum-Yum!
I've always wanted to learn how to embroider (is this a word?) really well. And to teach my daughter. She knows a bit. So do I. But I'd like to do more. I do more vicariously at Jen's house.
Since we homeschool we miss that first-day-of-school thing....the bus part, anyway. But that's ok! Andi helped me through it!
Are you getting the picture? And these are only a fraction of the blogs I have stored on google reader!
It's a great life we lead, don't you all agree?
That said, on to my next topic: my husband (who actually sometimes reads my blog!) is enthralled with this whole mommy-blog thing that I've become a part of. He asks me, over and over, what is it that makes all these moms do it. He's not being disparaging. He's a really nice guy. But he's definitely curious. And I've thought about it a bit and here's my answer: We are living vicariously. And it's not in a sad, often-negative way like those pre-college days....no, it is liberating! It is a chance to experience do-it-all-supermom-hood without being a supermom (which, we all know, is an impossible feat). How else could I experience so much in one day and still be sane and enjoy my life?
I can't spend time canning lately because my kitchen has to be spotless-at-all-times for the realtor. But I can experience it here.
I did get to go on a big trip this summer...but not to Europe! Not to worry, Mirjam did!
I live in a very red state....but, thank goodness for like-minded (real-life!) friends.
I wish I lived closer to my sister and my parents so we could have dinner together any-old-time. I can't. But I can "live it" here. Yum-Yum!
I've always wanted to learn how to embroider (is this a word?) really well. And to teach my daughter. She knows a bit. So do I. But I'd like to do more. I do more vicariously at Jen's house.
Since we homeschool we miss that first-day-of-school thing....the bus part, anyway. But that's ok! Andi helped me through it!
Are you getting the picture? And these are only a fraction of the blogs I have stored on google reader!
It's a great life we lead, don't you all agree?
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
I have the same feeling. Reading about other moms doing all that I want to do makes me feel that it is possible for me to do it, too. It's kind of like a big potluck of sharing the things that we know how to do with others and then we can sample what someone else knows how to do.
I like to look at this blog because it gives me inspiration as a Mom. When I am tired (which is all of the time - I too have gone years without a good night sleep - only three though) and the girls are screaming and the little one is biting her big sister I need an escape from the drama. I love them, can't be without them but need inspiration (at times) from other Moms who do it all with such grace, kindness and love.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home