Women Friends
I love having friends. But there is something sort of anti-social in my nature, too. To be honest, I just can't figure it out (I'm soooooo complex, I know! he he). But I have had a few conversations recently (ok, some were via the computer...does that count?) that have me thinking about friends in general and socializing and women friends in particular. By the way, this is NOT a post about my kids' social lives---this topic of homeschoolers and socialization did come up at our Park Day this week but I can say with no hesitancy that I am not concerned with my kid's socialization just because we're homeschooling.
My own socialization....something to think about. So, yes....recently I have joined and become a bit (ahem) obsessed with facebook. So I've been in "contact"--quotations go back up to my question "does talking on the computer count for talking? really?--with a number of friends from my past. A variety, in fact. People that I was VERY close to. People that I considered friends but haven't thought of, literally, in years. People that I wasn't close to at all that still seem to want to be my 'friend' as long as it's over the computer (which may or may not count). Also a real-life friend (two, actually) blogged about this concept of real-friendness which I think about quite a bit but am not so good at. Also, we went out lastnight with some other friends (look how popular I'm looking!) and she and I had much great conversation about good women-friends and how they can change your outlook on life (amen to Book Club--even though I cannot get into The Master and Margarita!).
So, what is my point? I don't know. The kids are clamouring for breakfast and I've lost my train of thought. But friendships. They are a good thing. They have the power to restore meaning to our lives. They have the power to lift us up (or bring us down). They are worth having, is what I'm saying. And I'm speaking mostly to that large inner part of me that wants to be anti-social (I'm just so busy, you know!) but knows that what I really need is something quite the opposite.
My own socialization....something to think about. So, yes....recently I have joined and become a bit (ahem) obsessed with facebook. So I've been in "contact"--quotations go back up to my question "does talking on the computer count for talking? really?--with a number of friends from my past. A variety, in fact. People that I was VERY close to. People that I considered friends but haven't thought of, literally, in years. People that I wasn't close to at all that still seem to want to be my 'friend' as long as it's over the computer (which may or may not count). Also a real-life friend (two, actually) blogged about this concept of real-friendness which I think about quite a bit but am not so good at. Also, we went out lastnight with some other friends (look how popular I'm looking!) and she and I had much great conversation about good women-friends and how they can change your outlook on life (amen to Book Club--even though I cannot get into The Master and Margarita!).
So, what is my point? I don't know. The kids are clamouring for breakfast and I've lost my train of thought. But friendships. They are a good thing. They have the power to restore meaning to our lives. They have the power to lift us up (or bring us down). They are worth having, is what I'm saying. And I'm speaking mostly to that large inner part of me that wants to be anti-social (I'm just so busy, you know!) but knows that what I really need is something quite the opposite.
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
I feel the same as you. I tend to be somewhat antisocial. It can also be hard to balance family and friends. I've had friends that want more of my time than I can give them. I think computer friends are nice, because you can drop them a line or two when you have the time and they can respond when they have the time and it doesn't get in the way so much with other important things in the home. That's just me, though. I feel overwhelmed when I have too much social time, but it is so nice to talk to other mothers and women, because husbands just don't think the same way as women do.
I've enjoying reading your blog lately. Such good posts Sarah. Keep them coming. I know I need to get out there more and gain some good women friendships too. It is hard to find a balance, but I think we all need it. Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home