Resolute
I usually never stay up to see the ball drop, or to welcome the New Year with fireworks or screaming or the Auld Lang Syne kiss. My perfect idea of a New Year's Eve is to watch a movie and eat some popcorn and go to sleep well before the hour strikes midnight. This year was no exception. Scott informed me that there were bursts all over the neighborhood as midnight came and that I flickered awake for a second. Call me simple. Or exhausted. Or both, I guess.
And while I'm usually not about watching the year go out with a bang.....I do love this time of year where we get to look back over the highlights of the year gone by and look ahead to plans for the new one. Laura makes a good point about why NOT to make resolutions because we should think of every moment as a chance to resolutely go forward with an idea. But call it the blank-book-lover in me that I do LOVE a good list of resolutions.....or, rather, that feeling of sitting before the blank page of the new year with space open before me to scheme and plan. And I don't have too many quibbles with the reality that some resolutions don't stick. I like to make a good healthy list. And then forge ahead with the sure feeling that at least most of them will be accomplished in some form or the other. It's that "shoot for the stars and you'll fly farther than you would otherwise have flown" concept. That addage about education that if we teach to the highest common denominator in a classroom and expect much from the students then everyone will learn more than if just mediocrity was expected. I LIKE having high expectations of the new year.
My whole list of schemed resolutions will not appear here....they are scribbled old-fashioned-style (the one I like best!) in my notebook. But a few just for the sharing:
And while I'm usually not about watching the year go out with a bang.....I do love this time of year where we get to look back over the highlights of the year gone by and look ahead to plans for the new one. Laura makes a good point about why NOT to make resolutions because we should think of every moment as a chance to resolutely go forward with an idea. But call it the blank-book-lover in me that I do LOVE a good list of resolutions.....or, rather, that feeling of sitting before the blank page of the new year with space open before me to scheme and plan. And I don't have too many quibbles with the reality that some resolutions don't stick. I like to make a good healthy list. And then forge ahead with the sure feeling that at least most of them will be accomplished in some form or the other. It's that "shoot for the stars and you'll fly farther than you would otherwise have flown" concept. That addage about education that if we teach to the highest common denominator in a classroom and expect much from the students then everyone will learn more than if just mediocrity was expected. I LIKE having high expectations of the new year.
My whole list of schemed resolutions will not appear here....they are scribbled old-fashioned-style (the one I like best!) in my notebook. But a few just for the sharing:
- return to writing---blog more, journal more, encourage my poetic voice again, work on some children's book idea---shoot for a daily dose of filling the page
- eat just a little bit of chocolate every day (italics are the resolution!)
- play more with my kids---find my child-energy again
- stay off the computer during the day
- early to bed, early to rise
- sew more
- declutter
- patience, patience, patience, patience, patience
Labels: Blogroll

1 Comments:
i'm always torn about resolutions too...but i do love the opportunity to start something anew. I do it often, but i have the more energy at new years.
and my perfect new years doesn't involve midnight either, although it did this year.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home