01 September 2008

Long Sigh

It was a fabulous, exhausting, long summer.  We had a splendid trip---driving about 7,000 miles round trip to all sorts of people and places including Cape Cod (my favorite place), Michigan, Connecticut, and Vermont...and all those states in between.  Long sigh. 

I've been trying to decide whether or not to continue with this beast which is my blog.  I have 2 others---private, to appease my paranoid tendencies.  And not all that much free time compared to all the things I want to be doing.  Another long sigh.  But here I am.  I guess we'll see.

I stopped in today to report on the best homeschooling moment of the day---among many, because we had a fabulous day of it today (not so much last week....hopefully the formal-learning-start-up-again wrinkles have been ironed out a bit).  We are studying French for our foreign language.  Today was our first day.  When we sat down for lunch I put on a CD that came in a packaged language thing-a-ma-jig from the library.  French music---all kinds.  We had some discussion about Edith Piaf, the different pronunciations of Paris (English vs. French), how to say "hello".  Then the "Can-can" came on.  The kids, only half done with their cheese and mayo sandwiches and peaches, jumped up exclaiming "it's mice!  They're in a huge French castle and they're going crazy stealing crumbs".  They proceeded to run round and round the house twitching their noses and "stealing crumbs", laughing hysterically, then crawling in a line.  Then they decided that the Queen of the castle was trying to catch the mice.  So guess who the Queen was?  Yup, moi!  And so the hysterical laughing and wildness continued, me pretending to chase and then faint, all three kiddos being very creative mice.  A typical foreign language lesson?  Perhaps not.  The Can-Can doesn't even have words, for goodness sake!  Did it spark their interest in learning French!  You bet!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous henryteachers said...

What a great way to introduce French to your kids. They were so creative with the music. I always enjoy your entries so I will be sad if you stop but I totally understand. Life can be so busy and having 3 blogs would be difficult.

01 September, 2008 08:41  
Anonymous Shelane said...

Lovely to hear from you! (with a proper english accent) Love to read your thoughts and will keep checking in, just in case.

01 September, 2008 10:54  
Anonymous Heidi said...

sarah, you can't leave us hanging in the blogging world. i love to read your posts and you make homeschool believers out of all of us.

03 September, 2008 02:32  
Anonymous cellista said...

Your trip sounds wonderful. I love reading whenever you write, but I completely understand the time issues. There's no way I could keep up with 3 blogs.

It sounds like you've got a wonderful thing going with your homeschool!

05 September, 2008 10:35  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home