Journaling
I have an old sea-chest that Scott and I found at an antique shop on The Cape while we were honeymooning.
It has traveled from Cape Cod (my favorite place on earth), to two NYC apartments, to a condo in Provo, and through three houses to here.
It houses my collection of journals---they date back to when I was 8.
There are a lot of silly pages from my early teen years---written in pink marker about boys, boys, boys. ( blah)
There is one that I wrote around age 11, after having read Anne Frank and loving that she addressed her journal Dear Kitty. I copied her idea and wrote Dear Ella in that journal. Not knowing at the time (or remembering when I chose the name later) that it would become the name of my own daughter.
It is full of college journals of poems and wonderings---what will I do? what will I be? what do I want?---detailed notes on reed-making and practice sessions. Heartbreak and new-found bliss.
Lists of plans, ramblings, beginnings of stories, tirades, and more.
Treasure, really.
A chest of treasure.
One of the things that I've done really, really well as a homeschooling mother is to make journaling part of my kids' daily learning.
Ella has journaled every school day since she was in Kindergarten (and sporadically before that). That's going on 7 years of full notebooks.
My boys---the same.
They are true treasures.
I haven't done everything well. It's been a lot of trial and error in our homeschooling adventure.
But this---this one we've got down.
| This is a picture of my dream. Of Mini (our tortoise) going into the water and (she) survived. Ethan---age 6 |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home