A Long Break...still happening...be back soon....
Yes, it has been almost a month since my last post but we're on extended holiday and it just hasn't worked to blog recently. Details to come...
But I've been thinking a lot about this blog thing. I became obsessed...not so much with writing everyday (though I did compose posts everyday in my head, only some of them made it on to the blog) but with reading other's blogs everyday. Educational voyeurism, as I think of it. One could argue if that was a good thing or a bad one...and for me this long break hasn't quite answered the question but I'm hoping to make a definitive decision soon. To keep going? It gives me an outlet, it motivates me to at least attempt to put into words the very inner work I do. It inspires me to be better and gives me tons of ideas. To quit? Because it takes over my life and I perhaps need to just go cold turkey so that my husband and kids aren't wondering why I'm on the computer all the time. I'm not so good at finding the middle road with things like this. An oboe teacher of mine once commented (back when I was obsessed with oboe playing) "It's all or nothing with you, isn't it, Sarah?" meaning that I either play very well or VERY NOT WELL and that I either get something with all my heart or I just don't connect. She was very astute. I am all or nothing. And while it would be nice to find balance about finding balance...hmmm, is this making any sense? Does blogging help me focus or take all my focus away from where it's supposed to be?
But I've been thinking a lot about this blog thing. I became obsessed...not so much with writing everyday (though I did compose posts everyday in my head, only some of them made it on to the blog) but with reading other's blogs everyday. Educational voyeurism, as I think of it. One could argue if that was a good thing or a bad one...and for me this long break hasn't quite answered the question but I'm hoping to make a definitive decision soon. To keep going? It gives me an outlet, it motivates me to at least attempt to put into words the very inner work I do. It inspires me to be better and gives me tons of ideas. To quit? Because it takes over my life and I perhaps need to just go cold turkey so that my husband and kids aren't wondering why I'm on the computer all the time. I'm not so good at finding the middle road with things like this. An oboe teacher of mine once commented (back when I was obsessed with oboe playing) "It's all or nothing with you, isn't it, Sarah?" meaning that I either play very well or VERY NOT WELL and that I either get something with all my heart or I just don't connect. She was very astute. I am all or nothing. And while it would be nice to find balance about finding balance...hmmm, is this making any sense? Does blogging help me focus or take all my focus away from where it's supposed to be?
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
Oh goodnees, I don't have an answer just the same questions as you. I hope you continue because I so enjoy what you share about your hsing. I look forward to your return from the break. I haven't been posting much because of a very needy baby. Tonight is the first night in weeks that I sat down to my desk. Now I am trying to decide what to do. So many projects and homeschooling ideas and I haven't a minute to spare.
BTW, we purchased a big sandbox from One Step Ahead. Making one didn't seem possible at this point. The cedar sandbox is a big hit and we purchased a mesh cover to keep it clean. Thanks for the inspiration. My dd loves it.
Sarah,
First of all, WE MISS YOU!! Next, when you figure all this balance stuff out, let me know, ok?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home