09 September 2007

Girlhood has arrived

Wendy got her first library card on Saturday.  She's been wanting one for years and I've always told her she needs to wait until she can read.  And though she's been technically reading for at least 6 months now, she's just started to be able to read easy chapter books to herself.  Which I count as a major milestone.  She stays up late in bed (just like I love to do...and did as a child) reading and reading.  Just the other night she started Two Times the Fun before dinner...and tiptoed into the learning room where I was busy planning late that night (about an hour after bedtime) with the exciting news that she'd finished the book.  She was overflowing with self-esteem and accomplishment. 

So, getting the library card was a big deal to her (and me!).  She signed her own name on the line and carefully chose about 10 books from the early reader section, helped her brother choose an assortment of dinosaur books (so thankful that our library has a huge selection!) and checked out on her own.  At the store afterwards she kept patting her pocket to make sure she hadn't lost the card. 

It is amazing to me that time spins so quickly and that I now have a little girl who reads herself to sleep.  Welcome to girlhood, my sweet once-baby dear.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home