15 September 2007

Greed

I am guilty.  I went to the library with my two oldest kids today.  We are studying Ancient Egypt.  I greedily looked up all the books I need for the next few weeks online before we left and wrote down all the call numbers.  My tummy was fluttering as I trouped the kids out to the car ("will we get them all?"  "we have to hurry before someone else gets there and takes the stash?")  We got there right as the library opened.  You'd think I was standing in line at Walmart on Christmas Eve to buy the first Stand-up Talking Elmo or something.  Instead, it is Saturday morning and I am crowding the library door as they open to get my greedy fists on all the books on Ancient Egypt they have before another homeschooling mom does the same thing.  I'm sure there is some moral lesson in here that I am failing miserably.  I think I have lost it.  My greed for my children's education has become quite astoundingly out-of-control.

But we did have a great library trip.  This routine of going every Saturday morning and leaving the baby home with Papa so I can really focus on helping the two older kids pick out good books (or focus on my own hunger for every-single-book-on-Ancient-Egypt...) is working well for us.  John continues to work his way through the dinosaur section (he has his favorites.  he knows exactly where the section is.  he runs there and starts bringing me books rapid-fire.  I remind him to look carefully and make a pile and I'll help him decide in a minute...).  He's not really interested in anything else...though we try....

Wendy piles her basket up with early readers.  She has taken to reading into the night.  She's working her way through Lattimore's Three Tales from the Arabian Nights as I type---a book well beyond her reading level but it peaks her interest and she's having a go at it.  I am so proud of her. 

Me, on the other hand....I just hope there wasn't another homeschooling mom who is studying Ancient Egypt this week who got there just a little too late...because those sections are bare.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Seastar said...

I do the same thing. I go and clear the shelves of what ever topic we are studying. Egypt at the moment too. I am glad we don't live in the same town.

16 September, 2007 05:08  
Anonymous cellista said...

Same here too!! I remember doing our train unit study this summer and one of the storytimes happened to be on trains. Usually the librarians would read several books and have a table filled with similar books for the kids to look at and check out. There were hardly any, and I realized that was because all the train books were at my house that week!

We're starting Egypt too, I'm just glad our library is huge and has multiple copies of lots of the books so I don't feel so guilty this week.

16 September, 2007 14:29  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home