Another point for Suburbia
A few weeks ago I wrote about growing up in the country and how I wish to live there still. But that now I am ensconsed firmly in suburbia. Well, it's really not all a bad thing. Today is another example:
The kiddos and I went out for a walk...as we are want to do multiple times a day (it is how I keep us all happy)...and ran into a friend out walking her little boy and some neighbor children. And they were on their way to another neighbor's house to play and chat...so we joined them. And thus spent the rest of our morning (me) chatting in the shade of a nice apple tree about sleeping and balancing kids/life and careers-after-kids and etc etc and (the kids) playing in the apple trees and under/on the trampoline with about 8 other little kids and eating raisins and having a grand old time (until it was past lunchtime and they crashed and we made a beeline for our nice cool kitchen and lunchtime and rest).
I spendso much too much time worrying about what I don't have or how I'd like our life to be different/ideal and not enough time just plain enjoying what I have been blessed with and going from there.
(this is not to say that I don't still crave West Street, VT...but Center Street, Suburbia has lots of good points, too)
The kiddos and I went out for a walk...as we are want to do multiple times a day (it is how I keep us all happy)...and ran into a friend out walking her little boy and some neighbor children. And they were on their way to another neighbor's house to play and chat...so we joined them. And thus spent the rest of our morning (me) chatting in the shade of a nice apple tree about sleeping and balancing kids/life and careers-after-kids and etc etc and (the kids) playing in the apple trees and under/on the trampoline with about 8 other little kids and eating raisins and having a grand old time (until it was past lunchtime and they crashed and we made a beeline for our nice cool kitchen and lunchtime and rest).
I spend
(this is not to say that I don't still crave West Street, VT...but Center Street, Suburbia has lots of good points, too)
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
We used to live in the mostly urban area of a city. Now we are in a small suburban town, population 6,000. We are an hour outside of a medium size city (Cincinnati). I miss the cultural opportunities for my daughter but we enjoying taking a couple of walks a day. It is nice to be able to go outside and breathe fresh air. I only wish that there were more families with young children. We have more babysitters than playmates. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy what we have. It sounds like you had a lovely morning.
Vermont would be nice but very cold in the Winter. Also, I imagine West Street, VT has many cultural opportunities.
"I spend so much too much time worrying about what I don’t have or how I’d like our life to be different/ideal and not enough time just plain enjoying what I have been blessed with and going from there. "
That's incredibly profound, Sarah. I love how you put that. I'm afraid I'm missing so many moments by wishing they were just a leeetle more ideal. Just enjoy the journey already!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home