Of Aprons and Exhaustion...
I've been feeling overwhelming exhaustion lately. I don't know if this is going on 6 years of sleep deprivation catching up with me (my kids just aren't all-nighters....and now that I have a 2.5 year old waking AND a 6-month old I really don't sleep for more than a few hours without a wake-up call for something) or coming off the season that my husband is really busy and not home a lot or if it's just a little funk. I've never really felt like this for more than a day or two. It's been a few weeks at least now and I'm just hoping that I get back to my normal energized-about-kids-and-being-home-all-day-with-them self.
On a brighter note we had a fun afternoon at co-op. The topic was Pioneers and we were lucky enough to have two moms teaching that actually spend a good chunk of their summers and throughout the year putting on re-enactments for the public. So they have authentic clothing. And authentic games for the kids. And authentic spices to authentically grate. And authentic washbasins to wash authentic aprons by authentic methods. Authentic snacks and drinks to share. Even an authentic shade-tent. Oh, yeah....and a lot of authentic know-how. Oh how I wish I could do this with them because it would be so much fun (for me, it's mostly about the clothes...)! So I have a mental picture (forgot the camera) of the kids all dressed in aprons washing clothing and hanging it out to dry. And having so much fun playing Pioneers. Makes me want to make aprons for my kids to play in like the ones all over the place here. And a bonnet for my daughter, too.
My sister and I grew up playing Little House on the Prairie with our own bonnets and play-skirts. Pretending our dog, April, was a pair of oxen pulling our "covered wagon" (the garden-way cart). We pioneered our way all over the lawn for many many days of my childhood summers. Something about all the little girls in aprons (and boy in vest) and green-grass and sunshine brought me back there today.
On a brighter note we had a fun afternoon at co-op. The topic was Pioneers and we were lucky enough to have two moms teaching that actually spend a good chunk of their summers and throughout the year putting on re-enactments for the public. So they have authentic clothing. And authentic games for the kids. And authentic spices to authentically grate. And authentic washbasins to wash authentic aprons by authentic methods. Authentic snacks and drinks to share. Even an authentic shade-tent. Oh, yeah....and a lot of authentic know-how. Oh how I wish I could do this with them because it would be so much fun (for me, it's mostly about the clothes...)! So I have a mental picture (forgot the camera) of the kids all dressed in aprons washing clothing and hanging it out to dry. And having so much fun playing Pioneers. Makes me want to make aprons for my kids to play in like the ones all over the place here. And a bonnet for my daughter, too.
My sister and I grew up playing Little House on the Prairie with our own bonnets and play-skirts. Pretending our dog, April, was a pair of oxen pulling our "covered wagon" (the garden-way cart). We pioneered our way all over the lawn for many many days of my childhood summers. Something about all the little girls in aprons (and boy in vest) and green-grass and sunshine brought me back there today.
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
THANK YOU for taking my kids! They had such a great time. I wish I could have seen them.
I'm so glad to read a post. You deserve a rest and a bit of a funk. One day soon you will wake up with a spark. Sending (((hugs))).
We all have gifts to share and don't forget you are sharing them every day. Your kids are lucky because you take them to such activities. The day sounded amazing.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home