Eggplant? Bread and Fry it!
Yes, eggplant is a real treat. It is a beautiful, mysterious color and is absolutely delicious if made this way (thank you Maia and Christine):
Crispy Eggplant--you'll need:
Eggplant (peeled if desired...I do, and sliced in very thin rounds)
Cornmeal
Eggs
Salt
Flour
Cooking Oil (I use a canola/vegetable mix)
To make:
Heat oil on medium, about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch deep.
Fill three plates/large bowls with: (1) flour (2) beaten eggs (3) cornmeal mixed with salt (to taste)
Dip Eggplant round in that order: flour, egg, cornmeal. Then place in heated oil. Let cook until golden brown, then turn and repeat--don't rush...you want the veggie to cook a bit. Drain on paper towel/brown bag. Serve hot or cold with whatever strikes your fancy. My kids love these dipped in ketchup. I like them just plain. They'd be great with some aioli....can be the main part of a meal or a side. Another benefit? For those finicky little eaters: it's super yummy and not obviously a vegetable that started life looking like a purple Mr. Potato Head. They gobble it up!
Yum, Yum.
Crispy Eggplant--you'll need:
Eggplant (peeled if desired...I do, and sliced in very thin rounds)
Cornmeal
Eggs
Salt
Flour
Cooking Oil (I use a canola/vegetable mix)
To make:
Heat oil on medium, about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch deep.
Fill three plates/large bowls with: (1) flour (2) beaten eggs (3) cornmeal mixed with salt (to taste)
Dip Eggplant round in that order: flour, egg, cornmeal. Then place in heated oil. Let cook until golden brown, then turn and repeat--don't rush...you want the veggie to cook a bit. Drain on paper towel/brown bag. Serve hot or cold with whatever strikes your fancy. My kids love these dipped in ketchup. I like them just plain. They'd be great with some aioli....can be the main part of a meal or a side. Another benefit? For those finicky little eaters: it's super yummy and not obviously a vegetable that started life looking like a purple Mr. Potato Head. They gobble it up!
Yum, Yum.
Labels: Blogroll

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home