TOTAL AND COMPLETE EXCITEMENT!
Okay, so you're thinking it must be good it she capped everything...and it is! Two great things fell into place for us about an hour ago. These are things I've been "working on" for months and months but there were no openings in either. But now there are! Oh, yippee!
The first is Suzuki violin lessons for Wendy. She has been telling us she wants to play to violin since she was about two. And in the last six months or so has been bringing it up often. And being two musicians we just didn't want to push her. We didn't want her to feel like we signed her up really early just because. We want our kids to love music, yes...but to come to it on their own, not through some sort of weird we-will-have-musical-children-yes-we-will-whether-they-like-it-or-not sort of thing. So a few months ago I realized that it was time. So I went on a hunt for violin teachers. Not such an easy thing, let me tell you. One doesn't like the other's bow grip, this one says this and this one says that. Gripe. Gripe. And of course now that my daughter DOES REALLY WANT TO PLAY THE VIOLIN my musician self kicks in with we-really-must-have-the-right-teacher-for-her thing. I consulted with my best-long-lost friend from Juilliard (Hi Emily, violinist extraordinaire!), Scott asked his colleagues, I asked other homeschooling-mom-string-player-whose-blog-I-love, I asked random other violinists that I came in contact with. So then we heard about a fabulous Suzuki teacher in the area...very experienced, homeschools/ed her 6 kids--all of whom play very well, trains other teachers in the Suzuki method. I emailed. No openings. But you can come and observe....
So we did. And just found out that she'll take Wendy starting in September. Needless to say, Wendy is beside herself...and I am excited, too (especially after seeing this woman teach--she is very good).
(why not start the kids on piano...since Papa is a pianist, after all? And isn't piano so USEFUL? Well, yes and yes. But she wasn't interested, you see...and in my opinion it's all about really wanting it. She can take piano later to help with music theory if the music interest holds up...)
Second, I've been wanting to sign Wendy up for Liberty Girls when she turned six since she loves American Girl Dolls and socializing in general. But the group nearby had no openings. So I considered starting another group....but hesitated because, well...I think I'm too overwhelmed at this point to take yet another thing on....BUT GUESS WHAT? Our local group has an opening for the Fall semester. Yippee!
And things are just falling into place...
more later on the full schedule of events and plans for the year.
The first is Suzuki violin lessons for Wendy. She has been telling us she wants to play to violin since she was about two. And in the last six months or so has been bringing it up often. And being two musicians we just didn't want to push her. We didn't want her to feel like we signed her up really early just because. We want our kids to love music, yes...but to come to it on their own, not through some sort of weird we-will-have-musical-children-yes-we-will-whether-they-like-it-or-not sort of thing. So a few months ago I realized that it was time. So I went on a hunt for violin teachers. Not such an easy thing, let me tell you. One doesn't like the other's bow grip, this one says this and this one says that. Gripe. Gripe. And of course now that my daughter DOES REALLY WANT TO PLAY THE VIOLIN my musician self kicks in with we-really-must-have-the-right-teacher-for-her thing. I consulted with my best-long-lost friend from Juilliard (Hi Emily, violinist extraordinaire!), Scott asked his colleagues, I asked other homeschooling-mom-string-player-whose-blog-I-love, I asked random other violinists that I came in contact with. So then we heard about a fabulous Suzuki teacher in the area...very experienced, homeschools/ed her 6 kids--all of whom play very well, trains other teachers in the Suzuki method. I emailed. No openings. But you can come and observe....
So we did. And just found out that she'll take Wendy starting in September. Needless to say, Wendy is beside herself...and I am excited, too (especially after seeing this woman teach--she is very good).
(why not start the kids on piano...since Papa is a pianist, after all? And isn't piano so USEFUL? Well, yes and yes. But she wasn't interested, you see...and in my opinion it's all about really wanting it. She can take piano later to help with music theory if the music interest holds up...)
Second, I've been wanting to sign Wendy up for Liberty Girls when she turned six since she loves American Girl Dolls and socializing in general. But the group nearby had no openings. So I considered starting another group....but hesitated because, well...I think I'm too overwhelmed at this point to take yet another thing on....BUT GUESS WHAT? Our local group has an opening for the Fall semester. Yippee!
And things are just falling into place...
more later on the full schedule of events and plans for the year.
Labels: Blogroll

2 Comments:
Oh such great news on both accounts. Maybe I could ask you a question about music. It hadn't occurred to me to ask this question of my blog friends but since you have a musical background maybe you can help. I should qualify this by saying I have no musical background. None. So.....
My dd is 3.5 and seems to have a unique awareness for music. She has pitch and rhythm and there are little examples of things she just "gets." Anyway, she takes a Musikgarten class with a wonderful teacher who btw homeschools her 6 kids. Musikgarten maintains that a child shouldn't start an instrument until age 6. The child takes classes in preparation to learn to play an instrument. My desire would be for her to learn piano. Do you have an opinion about the best age to start learning to play. It is difficult to describe how my dd is bright but not quite gifted. If she had a better temperament, I think she might be considered gifted. I know everyone thinks their first is exceptional and maybe she isn't but lots of people tell me she is.
My concern is that Musikgarten is not the best learning environment for her. I'm not fond of taking her to the class for social personal reasons. I can't decide if I want to sign her up for the next class or perhaps find a piano teacher for her. Is 3.5 too young?
Congrats on getting a great teacher!! It can be so hard to find a good match. I also want musical children but want them to choose it, and not be forced to be musical.
Thanks for your comments on my blog. I've enjoyed reading yours and look forward to reading more. We do have a lot in common!! I hope you do keep blogging, though I know how hard it is to find balance. I've "met" so many wonderful people through blogging though. It's a great way to interact with other like-minded souls, when there are not so many I know in real life.
Hope you have a great weekend!
Kristiana
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home