05 October 2007

But it's only the beginning!

The End


by A. A. Milne


When I was One,


I had just begun.


When I was Two,


I was nearly new.


When I was Three,


I was hardly Me.


When I was Four,


I was not much more.


When I was Five,


I was just alive.


But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever.


So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.


 


Wendy was asked by her violin teacher to recite this poem next week.  At the moment she is reading it by flashlight under the covers.  As I was sitting in the darkened bedroom a minute ago I could hear her whispering the lines over and over.  She does it dramatically, with just the right inflections and a touch of flair when she gets to the "clever as clever" part.  Six really is a wonderful age, don't you think?  But about "the end" thing....yes and no.  I've definitely felt that she has quietly but surely metamorphosed over the last few months into girlhood.  There is no hint of baby in her at all.  She is tall and rides a two wheeler, she is helpful and thoughtful (she made me breakfast in bed last week!) and full of big thoughts, she is energetic and opinionated and has a huge appetite for books and knowledge, she wants to do big things like sew on the machine and cook her own food and buy out JoAnn's fabrics.  So, yes, in the last month or so I've quietly and secretly mourned the passing of her babyhood.  I'm still thankful that she snuggles with me at my bidding, that she needs me to reassure her about a great many things, that she will talk to me about what she's feeling and thinking.  But this blossoming into girlhood...it's a fabulous beginning, too.  I look forward to the years ahead.  Helping her to be more capable, still.  Witnessing her growing.  Sharing all the wonderful things there are in this world: books and experiences, trips, holidays, traditions and memories.  It's all good, I think, and I just hope that I can keep perspective throughout my childrens' growing that I need to enjoy every stage, every age, every part of this time with them...fleeting and magical, exhausting and energizing...all these things wrapped up into one clever package. 

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Seastar said...

What a great poem! I think I will have my recently turned 6 yr. old girl memorize it. She too is turning into a little lady before my eyes. She doesn't ride a 2 wheeler yet. But she can really move on her scooter. She is learning how to sew and cook and such but doesn't sound quite as capable as your girl. But everyday I am reminded of how grown up she is becoming. She can do many things that only yesterday she couldn't manage. It seems crazy for me to have such an "old" child. I do look forward to the next phases of her development and do feel sad that some things are done and gone. That is why we take so many pictures I guess. I want to remember it all.

06 October, 2007 03:45  
Anonymous cellista said...

I can't believe my oldest is almost 7! And there is so much he's already left behind as he grows. It's sad in a way, and yet exciting too. Thanks for sharing this.

06 October, 2007 06:34  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home